WG1 is dedicated to the development of new instrumentation for FIB technology. Two main areas of focus have been identified:
- Development of new sources and beam optics required to broaden the applicability of FIB technology for nanostructured functional materials research.
- Investigation of new FIB based in-situ and in-operando characterization methods for nanostructured functional materials beyond the state-of-the-art.
The work is organised around the following 4 tasks:
Task 1.1: Review of existing ion source and beam guiding technologies with special emphasis on new and promising developments (M12).
Task 1.2: White paper on FIB based characterization methods (M24).
Task 1.3: Report on the application of in-situ and in-operando methods in focused ion beam tools (M18).
Task 1.4: FIBID based additive manufacturing including new beam strategies and precursors as well as FIB based resist lithography (M48).
The participants of WG1 meet regularly to
- discuss concepts for new instrument developments
- set up feasibility studies (e.g. preliminary experiments on existing instruments or test benches after some adaptations/prototyping)
- identify programmes / funding opportunities for instrument development
- set up consortia to prepare and submit proposals